Treatment of loss of hair with Ayurveda is a subject of extensive research. As per Ayurveda, hair type has a direct relation to body type. Body type is further divided into three categories Kapha, Vata and Pitta.
Each category has its own features and different causes for loss of hair. Ayurvedic principles follow a holistic approach and they usually comprise of the three main concepts; Ahar (food which can be utilized as a preventive medicine), Chikitsa (self-support and care) and Nidana (Treatment).
‘Pitta dosha’ is believed to be the primary cause of hair loss. ‘Pitta’ is said to be responsible for the governance of your digestion and metabolism. Balance in pitta results in a balanced body. Once the identification for the cause of pitta dosha is made, it is easier to perform the necessary corrections. It is common for anxiety and stress to result in ‘pitta dosha’ which in turn causes hair loss. Other Ayurvedic reasons for hair loss are improper diet, hormonal imbalances, use of intoxicants and fungal infections.
Some ayurvedic remedies for hair loss and promotion of hair regrowth are listed below:
- Bhringaraj (The King Of Herbs): Improves hair growth and colour
- Amla (The Indian Gooseberry): Useful for treating rapid hair loss
- Ashwagandha: Useful for improving thickness of hair
- The Aromatic Jatamansi: Has a soothing effect on the head
- Shikakai: Useful in maintaining health of scalp
- Neem: Gets rid of hair lice and aids in preventing premature graying
- Ritha: Imparts a natural shine and lustre in the hair
- Brahmi: Useful for strengthening the roots of the hair
- Aloe Vera: Improves hair growth
- Hot Oil Massage using Ayurvedic Oils: Improves circulation of blood in the scalp
Treatment using Ayurveda harps on the concept of utilizing a healthy diet to oppose diseases. Hair loss can also be treated using this method. As per Ayurveda, diets which have a higher level of vegetable proteins are capable of stimulating growth of hair. Food items such as meat, spicy and fried food, alcohol and excess consumption of other packaged drinks should be avoided.